Part of the urgency for getting this blog up and going in conjunction with all of the social media sites is some upcoming travel we are doing. Ironically, it has been harder to get on this than anticipated because we’ve been away so much!
Our “big” trip of the summer is approaching and I am focused on being the most efficient packer on the face of the earth (my hubs would say I have a way to go). Packing for myself and my two little guys for just over two weeks isn’t all that bad if I get organized ahead of time.
Some quick tips on what helps when getting ready for a trip like this.
- The use of packing cubes! I am new to the packing cube game but it has been a lifesaver this summer. Especially with the arrival of baby #2. Packing cubes keep our things separate and with like items so you don’t have to dig through a whole bag to find your swimsuit!
- Three words. Choose. A. Colour. Seems like a rather boring way to live but I really swear by sticking to a colour palate in order to mix and match EVERYTHING. Right now, my boys and I love a little navy. Also inspired by the French flag and our second stop on this trip!
- Never enough zip lock bags. I use, reuse, write on them and discard them as needed. Typically I start a trip with everything properly put into the perfect size baggie and labelled nicely. I come home with half as many bags and fill them with clothes that require oxyclean and bottles that need sanitizing. Everything goes into one. (sunscreen, toys, medicine, jewelry, etc).
- Lay it all out. I literally lay it all out on an extra bed that we have and set it and come back repeatedly. This way I have the option to edit as I go, drop stuff off as I think of it, etc.
- Don’t panic. Unless it is a prescription, a kid or a passport you literally CAN figure it out if you lose it. Even a passport or a prescription (while a pain in the you-know-what) can be replaced. I try not to lose our kids. So far, so good.